A healthy garden or allotment starts with healthy soil.
Use Apsley Farms Mulch as a Soil Improver to increase the quality of your garden’s soil condition.
Adds the three main beneficial nutrients Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium, increases water retention, helps aerate and improves overall soil structure.
Made from a mix of Anaerobically produced fibrous material consisting of rye, maize barley and grass, we are proud to say that it has been certified for Organic Use by the Soil Association.
Soil Improver method of application:
- Best time to use the mulch is in the autumn and spring months
- Mulch is easy to apply to the surface of the beds and spread using folk and rack.
- We recommend to weed the area beforehand
- As a Soil Improver we recommend a 20% mix of mulch and 80% soil.
- Spring and early Summer months – Spread a 2” layer over the area you wish to improve, go down a spades depth, turning the soil. Best to add to new raised beds or new or struggling flower beds. Wait for 5 to 7 days before planting. Gives an instance improvement to the nutrients and the structure of the soil
- Autumn and Winter months, promotes the ‘No Dig’ method championed by Charles Dowding. – Spread a 2” or 3” layer over the area and let the weather and worms do the rest. Come the spring tickle any solid material left into the soil.
Key Product details:
- Contains healthy amounts of Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus and other beneficial trace elements
- Soil Association approved for Organic Use
- Improves soil structure for both heavy clay and sandy soils
- Improves moisture retention
- Weed free
- Made up of rye, maize, barley and grass
- Waste, plastic and peat free
- Attracts worms to your garden
- Vegan friendly
- pH 8-8.5
Apsley Farm mulch process:
- Made from rye, maize, barley and grass, all used as the feed crops are farmed and cultivated by Apsley Farms.
- They are stored in large storage sacks to pickle for a minimum of 6 weeks, known as the Ensiling Process
- The crops are added to the Anaerobic Digestor for 150+ days producing Green renewable energy.
- The process kills all seed traces
- Each 730 litre bag of Apsley Farms Mulch will heat a home for 15 days.