Apsley Farms Mulch is useful for:
- Suppressing weeds
- Using as a Top Dressing
- Increasing nutrients
- Using as a Soil Improver
- Aiding water retention
- Deterring slugs & snails
Our mulch helps the soil to retain moisture and prevents weeds from growing in summer, allows rain to penetrate the soil, protects the roots of plants and increases nutrients in winter.
There are three different ways we would recommend using our mulch, please click on the links below to see how best to apply:
Use Apsley Farms Mulch as a Soil Improver to increase the quality of your garden’s soil condition. A healthy garden or allotment starts with healthy soil. Please click to find out more – Soil Improver
Using Apsley Farms Mulch as a top dressing will reduce the usual garden maintenance, suppress and stop weed growth and give a professional finish to your garden. Please click to find out more – Top Dressing.
Use Apsley Farms Mulch as a lawn dressing, help create a seed bed for turf or seed. Our Organic approved mulch is the perfect alternative to chemicals and other synthetic materials. Please click to find out more – Lawn Dressing
Apsley Farms Mulch information
Anaerobically produced fibrous material, we are proud to say that it has been certified for Organic Use by the Soil Association.
- Rye, maize, barley and grass used as the feed crops are farmed and cultivated by Apsley Farms
- The crops are stored in large storage sacks, to pickle – for around 6 months
- It is then added to the Anaerobic Digestor for 150+ days to produce Green renewable energy, both gas and electricity. This process kills all seed traces that might be found
- Contains healthy amounts of Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, and other beneficial trace elements
- Soil Association approved for Organic Use
- Improves soil structure for both heavy clay and sandy soils
- Helps moisture retention
- Light and easy to handle and once applied is aesthetically pleasing
- Reduces soil erosion during heavy rain
- Increases the protection of roots
- Weed free
- Made up of rye, maize, barley, and grass
- Waste, plastic, and peat free
- Attracts worms to your garden
- Vegan friendly
- pH 8-8.5
Our mulch does not have a manure smell, rather has an ammonia smell that dissipates quickly when spread. Left standing outside this will dissipate naturally in around 24 hours.
When applying our Mulch this spring, we would strongly recommend leaving a space around your young or tender plants. This will avoid any chance of burning issues. This happens due to the ammonia content. This will dissipate after around 24 hours being outside.
Caution do not store or use our fresh Soil Improving Mulch in enclosed places (greenhouses, polytunnels, garages, cold frames and cloches).
|Units||Results||Amounts per fresh tonne|
|Oven Dry Matter||%||20.6||206|
|Total Nitrogen||% w/w||2.59||5.34|
|Total Phosphorus (P)||% w/w||0.605||2.85|
|Total Potassium (K)||% w/w||2.71||6.7|
|Total Magnesium (Mg)||% w/w||0.331||1.13|
|Total Sulphur (S)||% w/w||0.303||1.56|
|Total Copper (Cu)||mg/kg||11.3||<0.01|
|Total Zinc (Zn)||mg/kg||51.2||0.01|
|Total Sodium (Na)||% w/w||0.047||0.13|
|Total Calcium (Ca)||mg/kg||8921||1.84|
How our Mulch is composted down after three months.
|pH – 6.8 – 7.3|
|Unit||Results||Amount per fresh tonne|
|Oven Dry Matter||%||12.1||121|
|Total Nitrogen||% w/w||3.14||3.8|
|Total Phosphorus (P)||% w/w||0.45||1.25|
|Total Potassium (K)||%w/w||0.174||0.25|
|Total Magnesium (Mg)||%w/w||0.243||0.49|
If you’re lucky enough to be within 30 miles of our farm in Andover; we offer FREE DELIVERY using our in-house fleet of vans with cranes to manoeuvre the mulch bags. Our specialist team can deliver onto gravel driveways and up tight country roads safely. For more information see our delivery page.
If you’re after a large quantity of mulch bags, or need lorry loads; Please contact us on 01264 554433