Apsley Farms’ mulch allows rain to penetrate and helps the soil retain moisture. It suppresses weeds, protects plant roots during a dry summer and cold winter weather and adds nutrients – all at the same time.
- Suppressing weeds
- Using as a Top Dressing
- Increasing nutrients to the soil
- Using as a Soil Improver
- As an Organic Soil Conditioner
- Aiding water retention
- Acts as a slug and snail deterrent
- Compost activator
When applying our Mulch this spring, we would strongly recommend leaving a space around your young or tender plants. This will avoid any chance of burning issues. This happens due to the ammonia content. This will dissipate after around 24 hours being outside.
Mushrooms in your mulch – Visit our FAQ Page to find out why mushrooms in your mulch are a good thing!
Caution do not store or use fresh Soil Improving Mulch in enclosed places (eg. greenhouses, polytunnels, garages, cold frames and cloches).
How to use and when should you use our mulch?
There are three different ways we would recommend using Apsley Farms’ mulch
Use Apsley Farms Mulch as a Soil Improver to improve the quality and condition of your soil by adding nutrients and organic matter. A healthy garden or allotment starts with healthy soil. Please click to find out more – Soil Improver
Using Apsley Farms Mulch as a Top Dressing will reduce the usual garden maintenance, suppress and stop weed growth and give a professional finish to your garden. Please click to find out more – Top Dressing.
Use Apsley Farms Mulch as a lawn dressing and help create a seed bed for turf or seed. Our organically approved peat-free mulch is the perfect alternative to chemicals and other synthetic materials. Please click to find out more – Lawn Dressing
Use our soil improving mulch as a slug deterrent. Slugs and snails don’t like our Mulch – here’s the proof!
It certainly isn’t a slug killer, however it may stop slugs and snails from eating your plants.
Our video experiment showing how snails avoid Apsley Farms Mulch:
Our mulch is anaerobically produced fibrous material, we are proud to say that it has been certified for Organic Use by the Soil Association. Click here to read abour anaerobic digestion
- Rye, maize, barley and grass used as the feed crops are farmed and cultivated by Apsley Farms
- The crops are stored in large storage sacks, to pickle – for around 6 months
- It is then added to the Anaerobic Digestor for 150+ days to produce Green renewable energy, both gas and electricity. This process kills all seed traces that might be found
- Each 730 litre bag of Apsley Farms Mulch will have heated a home for 21 days
- Contains healthy amounts of Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, and other beneficial trace elements
- Soil Association approved for Organic Use
- Improves soil structure for both heavy clay and sandy soils
- Helps moisture retention
- Light and easy to handle and once applied is aesthetically pleasing
- Reduces soil erosion during heavy rain
- Increases the protection of roots
- Waste, weed, pests and peat free
- Attracts worms to your garden
- Vegan friendly
- pH 8-8.5
Our mulch doesn’t have a manure smell, rather has an ammonia smell that dissipates quickly when spread. Left standing outside this will dissipate naturally in around 24 – 48 hours depending on the weather conditions.
Technical Information and Analysis
|Units||Results||Amounts per fresh tonne|
|Oven Dry Matter||%||20.6||206|
|Total Nitrogen||% w/w||2.59||5.34|
|Total Phosphorus (P)||% w/w||0.605||2.85|
|Total Potassium (K)||% w/w||2.71||6.7|
|Total Magnesium (Mg)||% w/w||0.331||1.13|
|Total Sulphur (S)||% w/w||0.303||1.56|
|Total Copper (Cu)||mg/kg||11.3||<0.01|
|Total Zinc (Zn)||mg/kg||51.2||0.01|
|Total Sodium (Na)||% w/w||0.047||0.13|
|Total Calcium (Ca)||mg/kg||8921||1.84|
How our Mulch is composted down after three months.
|pH – 6.8 – 7.3|
|Unit||Results||Amount per fresh tonne|
|Oven Dry Matter||%||12.1||121|
|Total Nitrogen||% w/w||3.14||3.8|
|Total Phosphorus (P)||% w/w||0.45||1.25|
|Total Potassium (K)||%w/w||0.174||0.25|
|Total Magnesium (Mg)||%w/w||0.243||0.49|
This is a similiar product to garden compost, delivered free with in 30 miles or nation wide.
If you’re lucky enough to be within 30 miles of our farm in Andover; we offer FREE DELIVERY using our in-house fleet of vans with cranes to manoeuvre the mulch bags. Our specialist team can deliver onto gravel driveways and up tight country roads safely. For more information see our delivery page.
If you’re after a large quantity of mulch in bulk bags or loose loads please contact us on 01264 554433